My Blog List

Tuesday 26 April 2011

How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?

How did you use media technologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
(Radio Script)

Presenter: Hi again! I am now joined by Vicki, the dirctor of Crystal Castles and Robert Smiths new video 'Not in Love'. What sort of equipment did you use to actually film the video then?

Vicki: Well mainly I used an HD camera to film the video footage. The quality with this camera is very high; it made the video look more professional. Everything I wanted to stood out, for example, on the bridge the twigs were clearly shaped as a heart even though they were mixed in with lots of others.

Presenter: Yes exactly. I noticed at one point in the video that there seemed to be a heart just drawn in the darkness. Now how did you achieve that? I just can't work it out!

Vicki: Well that one took a lot of experimenting. I used a digital SLR camera to take an image. Putting it on a longer exposure; so the shutter stayed open for longer so the lens was exposed to more light so it could capture it all. It is a bit like film except all the frames are piled up on top of one another to make just one image. It took a lot of experimenting with different light sources and exposure lengths until I finally got it right. I used a phone light being moved in the shape a heart in front of the camera, instead of moving the camera on the tripod - which I did initially.


Presenter: Well it worked well, I must say. How did you bring it in all together then?

Vicki: Using Adobe Premiere Pro, I imported both my still images and the film footage to edit it all together. I used the programmes different features to develop it. The time/duration feature was a very useful tool. I was able to speed up/slow down differnt parts of the footage to help in fit to the song. This was a very important factor for me when creating the video as I wanted the songs stronger beats to be incorporated with what was being shown on screen and this enabled me to do so. The timeline along the bottom of the program was useful as it was incredibily easy just to drag and copy things along so I could get the repitition I wanted right. 

Presenter: And for your digipak, I noticed you used images that I recoginised from the video. What made you choose those?

Vicki: I used shots from my video, so that they were obviously linked and the theme ran through everything to bring them all together. I used Adobe Photoshop and InDesignto edit it things that may not have been noticable but would have been as an image on its own not moving. I was able to edit out the inperfections, such as people in the background and signage, using photoshop. Anything that would take the attention from what I wanted the audience to mainly look at. I was then able to import it into my finished indesign template. Another feature of photoshop that was very helpful in creating the finished product, was the effects you could create. I was able to take the photo of the girl with the balloon and make the background look handdrawn. I wanted the girl to stand out a lot more than the background and this effect enabled me to do so. It became fainter and left the balloon to be a lot bolder and one of the first things you noticed when looking at the image.

Presenter: Yes it definately was. Well thank you very much for your time today Vicki. I look forward to seeing your next video, hopefully in the near future!

Vicki: Thank you for having me on the show. I hope to be back again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment